Directions to Summer Lake Hot Springs
Summer Lake Hot Springs is located six miles north of Paisley, Oregon on Highway 31 at mile marker 92. Highway 31, designated a national scenic byway in 1999, "The Outback Highway," is a beautiful and scenic drive. From La Pine the road passes from Ponderosa Pine timber land to the Oregon High Desert. An easy drive, there are numerous geological marker stops along the way. Fort Rock State Park is an easy 18 mile side trip to a geological feature well worth the time. The tiny town of Fort Rock also has an interesting museum of historic buildings.
Page Contents - click to jump to specific section on page:
- Driving from Bend
- Driving from Eugene
- Driving from Medford
- Driving from Salem or the Greater Portland Area
- Driving from Reno
- Flying in private aircraft
- Driving Suggestions
Directions from Bend, Oregon (about 2 hours)
From Bend drive 32 miles south on Highway 97, through La Pine to Highway 31 (2 miles south of La Pine). Turn left (east) on Highway 31 and continue for 92 miles. Summer Lake Hot Springs is on the left side of the road at mile marker 92.
Directions from Eugene, Oregon (about 4 hours)
From Eugene drive south on Interstate 5 then east on Highway 58 across the Willamette Pass. About 2 miles past the little town of Crescent turn left on the Crescent Cut-off. When this road intersects with Highway 97 turn left (north), continue on Highway 97 for about 20 miles to Highway 31. Turn right (east) on Highway 31and continue for 92 miles. Summer Lake Hot Springs is on the left side of the road at mile marker 92.
Directions from Medford, Oregon (about 5 hours)
From Medford drive south on Interstate 5 to Ashland, then east on Highway 66 to Klamath Falls. Take Highway 140 from Klamath Falls to Lakeview. (WARNING: some GPS and online map systems may suggest a route directly from Bly to Summer Lake Hot Springs or Paisley, bypassing Lakeview. Unless you are familiar with these Forest Service roads you are strongly cautioned against using them!) From Lakeview turn north on US 395. About 25 miles north of Lakeview turn left (northwest) on Highway 31. Continue another 20 miles on Highway 31 to Paisley, then another 6 miles to Summer Lake Hot Springs, on the right at mile marker 92.
Directions from Salem or the Greater Portland Area (about 5 - 6 hours)
There are a variety of ways to get to Bend, depending on where you are in the North Willamette Valley. Select the most appropriate route to Bend. From Bend drive 32 miles south on Highway 97, through La Pine to Highway 31 (2 miles south of La Pine). Turn left (east) on Highway 31 and continue for 92 miles. Summer Lake Hot Springs is on the left side of the road at mile marker 92.
Driving from Reno (about 6 hours)
Take US 395 north from Reno. About 25 miles north of Lakeview turn left (northwest) on Highway 31. Continue another 20 miles on Highway 31 to Paisley, then another 6 miles to Summer Lake Hot Springs, on the right at mile marker 92.
Paisley airport has an excellent 4400' paved and lighted runway five miles from the Summer Lake Hot Springs. Tie downs are available, but there are no hangars or fuel. If you are flying in please call in advance to arrange a pick up time. (airport identifier: 22S - More info)
- Check your fuel before leaving La Pine or Lakeview. Fuel is available on the High Desert, but it can be quite a distance between stations, and they tend to close early in the evening.
- In winter the roads through the trees can be snow packed, especially the first 28 miles southeast from La Pine. Allow enough time to drive at a safe speed.
- Cell service is somewhat limited on Highway 31 once you leave the La Pine area.
- Watch for deer both day and night. Highway 31 cuts through a major deer migration route. If you see a deer ahead slow down significantly and anticipate unexpected behavior. When frightened they will often bolt right in front of your car, and when there is one deer there is usually another one right behind it.
- WARNING! Some GPS systems are known to place the address of Summer Lake Hot Springs in an entirely wrong location. Try using Paisely as your destination, then understand that Summer Lake Hot Springs is about 5 miles northwest of Paisley on Highway 31.